Reading through Mark 13 one could get the idea that Christ has a passion for preparation–specifically preparation for his second coming. Why is this? I thought I’d break it down in terms that I can understand; this is what I got:
We see Christ uses the phrase “take heed” and “watch” a variety of times in Mark 13
- 5 And Jesus answering them began to say, Take heed lest any man deceive you:
- 9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.
- 23 But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.
- 33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
- 35 Watch ye therefore: for ye know not when the master of the house cometh, at even, or at midnight, or at the cockcrowing, or in the morning:
- 37 And what I say unto you I say unto all, Watch.
Christ placed heavy emphasis on those phrases, and end’s his discourse (v. 37) with a final admonition- that everyone should watch.
We as believers can learn a few things from these words of Christ. First and foremost, we can and should take heed. Take heed from the Holy Ghost and act on those promptings. Live in such a way that we can be worthy to receive those promptings. We can watch. Watch the world around us. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the world around us is bad–really bad. If we watch, we’ll be able to act when the time is right. I think the final thing we can do is to learn. Learn the signs of the times and what they mean. Learn what we should do when they come; and rest assured they will come–Many already have.
I’ll end with a few scriptures that outline what else we can do to prepare for the second coming of the Lord.
- D&C 87:8 Wherefore, stand ye in holy places, and be not moved, until the day of the Lord come; for behold, it cometh quickly, saith the Lord. Amen. I’ll place heavy emphasis on the phrase stand in holy places; it’s a no-brainer.
- Joseph Smith-Matthew 1:32 And again shall the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, be fulfilled. To understand this warning, we need to understand the first destruction; rest assured we are told- Jerusalem will be destroyed yet again.
- Joseph Smith-Matthew 1:37 And whoso treasureth up my word, shall not be deceived, for the Son of Man shall come, and he shall send his angels before him with the great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together the remainder of his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other. Read and apply the word of God–another no-brainer.
- Joseph Smith-Matthew 1:46-50
46 And what I say unto one, I say unto all men; watch, therefore, for you know not at what hour your Lord doth come.
47 But know this, if the good man of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to have been broken up, but would have been ready.
48 Therefore be ye also ready, for in such an hour as ye think not, the Son of Man cometh.
49 Who, then, is a a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?
50 Blessed is that aservant whom his lord, when he cometh, shall find so doing; and verily I say unto you, he shall make him ruler over all his goods.
Watch, and take heed. Be a wise servant; and be blessed.
- D&C 33:17 Wherefore, be faithful, praying always, having your lamps trimmed and burning, and oil with you, that you may be ready at the coming of the Bridegroom.
- D&C 45:56-57
56 And at that day, when I shall come in my glory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten virgins.
57 For they that are wise and have received the truth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their guide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the fire, but shall abide the day.